Shirley’s Famous Homemade Chicken Pot Pie
A homemade chicken pot pie is comfort food at its best! The ingredients are simple but you will put jut a little extra effort into this hearty dish to prepare the chicken from scratch. It’s worth it!
There are several benefits to boiling a hen besides just for it’s intended recipe. This recipe only calls for one cup of broth which means there will be plenty to freeze for other recipes! There is also enough chicken to divide between two recipes.
Boil one hen for two meals. After pulling the chicken off the bone, refrigerate half of the chicken for a second meal like Chicken and Dumplings or Homemade Chicken Salad. Freeze the leftover broth for soups and stews.
One of the best parts of any chicken pot pie is the crust! I like to make mine in an oblong casserole dish rather than a round deep dish for more crust per serving. Be sure to poke some holes for venting.
Vegetables, cream of potato soup and chicken broth combine to make a stick-to-the-ribs hearty meal. It’s an added bonus that it’s a one dish meal too!
Be sure to add some crust to each individual serving!
- 1 small whole hen
- 1 bag frozen mixed vegetables (16 oz.)
- 1 can cream of potato soup
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Refrigerated Pie Crust
- 1 Tbsp. sage
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- PREPARE THE CHICKEN
- Boil the hen in a Dutch oven until it falls off the bone.
- Drain and debone the chicken.
- Shred the meat by hand and set aside.
- PREPARE THE VEGETABLES
- Into a large pot add the vegetables, chicken broth and soup.
- Heat stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the seasonings and the chicken.
- Heat just until bubbly.
- MAKE THE PIE
- Prepare a casserole dish with non-stick spray
- Spread one pie crust across the bottom and side of the dish.
- Pour in the heated pie mixture.
- Spread the second pie crust over the top to cover completely
- Use a knife or fork to poke sporadic holes in top of the crust.
- Bake in preheated oven at 325° for 30 to 40 minutes uncovered. After 20 minutes of baking, remove from oven and cover with foil then return to oven.
- Serve and enjoy!
This post was Featured:
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
Latest posts by Shirley Wood (see all)
- How Garden Lites Helps Me Get My Family to Eat Vegetables - March 29, 2017
- 10 Must Have Fruity Food Recipes & Merry Monday Link Party #147 - March 26, 2017
- Menu Plan #49 Leftovers Rock - March 25, 2017