Do you need to know How And Why To Turn Off Locations On Your Smart Phone?
You are being tracked, your every move is being tracked. Don’t panic, you can put a stop to it, if you want to.
I always enjoy technology but I enjoy it even more when I’m well informed on how to properly use it.
My husband and I were watching the news one evening when we saw this story on the video below. Please watch the video to find out WHY you would want to turn of locations on your Smart Phone.
Of course we both immediately picked up our cell phones and double checked. Yes, we were being tracked. Don’t panic, you can turn tracking off or on any time you choose. If you are going on a road trip and wish to use GPS, you can turn it on and off anytime which is what we have been doing.
There is something eerie and disturbing about being tracked constantly for any reason. Do you agree?
We have Android devices and we had to keep rewinding the news story to follow the instructions so I did screen shots to share which will hopefully make the process a little bit easier. The video includes instructions for IPhone users also.
You will be turning off TWO separate location services:
(1) Google location and deleting the history it has stored and
(2) The device location option. You will want to turn this one back on when you are traveling and need to use your GPS app or weather app.
- 911 can still find you. There will be a notice which tells you this.
- There will be some Location consent forms to pop up during this process. Select ‘agree’ to proceed. You will be able to go back and turn off both location services. The next time you want to turn them back on, those consent forms will pop up again.
Under ‘Settings’ select ‘Location’
Make sure the location is switched to ON so you can go turn off the Google Location first. If this is Off, you will not be able to proceed to Google Location services. You will come back and turn this one off after deleting Google location history and turning off Google Location services.
Now that you have locations ON. Scroll down on this same screen until you see Google Location History. Tap to open.
DELETE HISTORY by tapping the Delete Location History phrase at the bottom of the screen. This screen must be in the ON position for you to be able to delete history. AFTER deleting history, then turn off and go back to the previous screen which is where you will switch to the Off position for locations also.
Worth reading is the information surrounded by the yellow block. They were never trying to hide from us what their intentions are. If you don’t mind being tracked, then by all means leave it all on!
Turn off locations setting. You are done. As previously mentioned, you can go in and turn these on or off at any time when you may need to use them for your own purposes.
I love my smart phone but just as I’m sure you do, I like to be in charge of my own life. If I want to be tracked so I can be marketed to, that should be my decision. Thankfully it is my decision because we have been provided with a way to turn off the tracking.
Six Steps to turn off the location settings on your Android phone.
- Go into ‘Settings’
- Under ‘Settings’ select ‘Location’
- Make sure the location is switched to ON so you can go turn off the Google Location first.
- Scroll down on this same screen until you see Google Location History. Tap to open.
- DELETE HISTORY by tapping the Delete Location History phrase at the bottom of the screen.
- Go back to the previous screen and turn off locations.
Did you find this information helpful? We’d love for you to subscribe to our email newsletter which is published once per week. It’s FREE!
Subscribe to our mailing list
Latest posts by Shirley Wood (see all)
- Our Fireplace Makeover - May 22, 2017
- 7 Ways To Enjoy Your Outdoor Space & Merry Monday Link Party #155 - May 21, 2017
- 10 Decadent Chocolate Dessert Ideas & Merry Monday #154 - May 14, 2017