Spaghetti doesn’t have to be plain. Try this easy Two Meat, Two Cheese Baked Spaghetti & Meatballs recipe for a welcome change!
Spaghetti has long been a favorite for children and adults. Busy cooks enjoy the ease of preparation on busy days. My husband would love it if I cooked spaghetti at least once a week. Even though you may have your tried and true method for making spaghetti, you must try this Two Meat, Two Cheese Baked Spaghetti & Meatballs at least once! This will easily make the ‘most requested’ list in any household of spaghetti lovers.
My recipe uses your favorite jar of spaghetti sauce, one can of Italian style diced tomatoes, 1 lb. ground turkey, 1 bag frozen Italian style meatballs, shredded mozzarella cheese and shredded parmesan cheese! Two meats and two cheeses create a scrumptious flavor combination when combined with the spaghetti sauce and tomatoes!
“The secret is in the sauce!” Do you remember that line from the movie Fried Green Tomatoes?
I like to melt the cheese on top until it is just beginning to brown.
Layer beginning and ending with the spaghetti noodles. Reserve about 1 cup of the cheese mixture for the topping. When the dish is hot and bubbly, remove from oven, top with cheese and return to oven just long enough to melt the cheese on top.
It’s always nice to get compliments from my precious husband when I get his seal of approval on a meal. I implemented a mealtime rule at our house many years ago. Everyone is required to say something nice about the meal even if they didn’t like it. No rules required for this Two Meat, Two Cheese Baked Spaghetti & Meatballs dinner!
- 1 lb. ground beef or turkey
- 1 pkg. frozen meatballs (24 oz.)
- 1 Jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) can Italian style diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 8 oz. shredded parmesan cheese
- 8 oz. mozzarella cheese
- 8 oz. box spaghetti noodles
- Brown and drain the ground meat.
- Place the meatballs into the same skillet you browned the ground meat in and cook on medium just until thawed.
- Add the ground meat back into the skillet with the meatballs.
- Pour your spaghetti sauce and tomatoes into the meat mixture and cook on medium until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, boil your spaghetti noodles and drain.
- Spray your baking dish to prevent sticking.
- Layer the ingredients in your baking dish beginning with the noodles, then meat sauce mixture then mozzarella and finally parmesan. (Reserve enough cheese for topping.)
- Repeat this layering until all ingredients are used.
- Bake at 350° approximately 25 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Remove from oven, top with remaining cheese and return to oven just long enough to melt the cheese.
- Serve and enjoy!
Is spaghetti a favorite meal at your house too?
Latest posts by Shirley Wood (see all)
- 113 Games & Activities for Kids & Merry Monday Link Party #156 - May 28, 2017
- DIY See Rock City Barn Birdhouse - May 25, 2017
- 15 Plus Best Annual Flowers for Full Sun - May 24, 2017